Monday, July 23, 2018

I Second That Emotion

Sunday morning we got lost in Stellenbosch, had a wine tasting, learned that early humans actually came not from the middle of Africa, but instead from Southern Africa, down by the Cape and discovered a new health drink.  It was a busy morning.

The afternoon I spent at the Museum of Modern African Art and I’m still processing what I saw and experienced.  

The museum was throbbing with emotion.  Every piece was designed to not only make you think, but to pull hard at the emotions.  It didn’t matter if it was laughter ( silly drawing faces) or tears ( a reimagining of the Pieta) or confusion.  It was all right there on the surface.  One of the things that I will take with me from this trip is the overwhelming connection to their emotions that we have seen in the people we have visited with.

Probably the most powerful exhibit for me was a set of six movies that used found home movies along with news footage to tell a story .  The story wasn’t told by a narrator, per se, but there were words on a screen to read.  There were tragedies and humor and daily life, but there was something powerful about having to read the words and here them in your own head. You became part of the story.  I’m still pondering how it  feels to be in someone else’s story.


Monday we say goodbye to  CapeTown and move on to Johannesburg.  New adventures await!

No comments:

Post a Comment