Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Art of the Deal

(This post was created last Friday, but due to travel it also did not get posted on time)

We are back in Tbilisi again and hail, hail, the gang is all back together.  It seems like there aren't enough hours in the day to share all of the stories of our adventures, from the never ending supras, to learning to cook, to how all of the schools operated and the students and teachers we have met.  I'm not ready for this adventure to end quite yet and I am certainly not excited about leaving these new friends who are exponentially closer to me than many people, yet whom I feel like I have barely begun to know.

The most fun part about Tbilisi this time has been the shopping.  We can't come home without stuff to prove that we had a good time, right?  It would be downright UNAMERICAN.  I started at Goodwill, which isn't exactly like it is in the United States.  It is a type of grocery store.  We found this one on the way back from Batumi.  I'm not sure why it is called Goodwill, but I don't think it will be sponsoring any charity work today.  The bear just creeped me out...
Much of our shopping took place on the streets, where every day is a flea market/art sale.  One of the best places to buy art is on the street.  This man makes oil paintings that are just amazing for $15-$30.  He paints right there and you can watch him make your creation.  
I thought he should meet our art.

The thing about buying on the street, though, is that everything can be had for the right price.  Prices are very negotiable and you can get the most amazing things for very little money.  My friend Brian got a brass cigarette case negotiated down from over $100 to less than $50.  It had Lenin on the front of it and was truly a work of art.  I bought this hat for Robbie, who adores hats.  A genuine Russian army hat for him!


I like the mindset of the deal--that everything can be had if you just find the middle ground.  So often in life, we get stuck in our own positions, finding that we can't give a little because if we give a little now, what is going to stop the slippery slope of giving too much?  We also pride ourselves in holding true to our values and ideals, no matter what the reality, part of our sense of independence and rugged individualism.  What if we spent more time in the art of the deal and less time trying to force others into coming to our side?  What if our government was more focused on finding middle ground than proving the other guy was wrong?  

There is certainly something to be said for the art of the deal, of finding a place where everyone gave a little, but got some of what they needed.  As I begin to head back to America, I want to work more on compromise and see where it leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment